Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Queen Family: Appalachian Tradition and Back Porch Music


The Expectation:
I was asked to watch this film for a Museum I work at. Meant to correspond to an exhibition on photos of Appalachian Musicians, I knew this documentary was made to capture a family in Jackson county, NC who grew up playing Appalachian music as a part of their specific regional heritage.

The Result:
Only thirty minutes long, this documentary fully captures the spirit and grace of the long time residents of the Western North Carolina mountains. As a region I have come to love, the film showcases them at their finest as they try to come to terms with the fading away of a culture they were raised within, a culture that still defines their own sense of self and community. The music is wonderful and it is juxtaposed with talking heads who explain their own perceptions, as a part of this unique family, of how the music is reflective of their culture and their lives. If they are truly indicative of this specific way of life, I am jealous to have grown up in Florida suburbs and not in the Carolina mountains. I gave it my approval- go see films at your local museum or library!

To pay attention to:
The witty and good humored matriarch, Mary Jane Queen- I want to give her a big hug.
One scene where two family members play the same guitar at the same time- truly incredible!

Flickr photo by Pharis Patenaude

No comments: