Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Easy Virtue (2008)


The Expectation:
I love period pieces, and this film was set in the 20's in England, pitting the flirty, rambuncous American culture, against the stereotypical uptight English world. Interestingly, it also positions the American city life against the English country. I knew it would be fun and colorful and I really wanted to see the costumes. Finally, I went to see Colin Firth, who I think is a brilliant actor. I was a little nervous about Jessica Biel's performance; I am not used to her in a role with this much weight for the entire film. And blond.

The Result:
The costumes were fantastic and the soundtrack is remarkably fitting. The film uses Cole Porter's Lets Misbehave as its tag line (and defining sound). I want to live in the 20's -but that is a whole different thing altogether. Although some of the plot lines are a bit ridiculous, and the battle between Mrs. Whitaker (Kristin Scott Thomas) and Larita (Biel) is stretched just a little to far to fill an entire film, there are funny and endearing moments that push the film forward. Biel, Kristin Scott Thomas, and Colin Firth are interesting in their roles, although often a bit overdone and unnatural; but the rest of the cast is a bit trying, and by the end, nasty to behold. At the finish, the film is really about the battle between living safely in the present and moving forward into an unknown future. I will let you decide which ultimately wins out (and which is indicative of the American way). I think the most harmful message posited by the film is that everyone would be a lot happier if they would just stay in their place. Truly disheartening. But the costumes are really fantastic.

Pay attention to (if you go):
The beautiful pastoral setting- if only it wasn't so contaminated by its inhabitants.
The music.
And the costumes....

Flickr photo by REphotography3

No comments: