Saturday, January 2, 2010

An Education (2009)


The expectation: I really wanted this one to be great; it is my kind of film- independent, dramatic, tragic, and nicely shot and styled. I knew the story- a teenage girl in the 60's in suburban London gets swept away by a man twice her age through an attraction to culture. Nick Hornby wrote the screenplay so the story had a chance, and I had heard great, great things about Carey Mulligan in the lead, Jenny. With Peter Sarsgaard as the lead man, David, I was hopeful that the film could pull off this 'unconventional' story well- and not just create a creepy couple that has no hope at all. These things do happen sometimes...

The result: The movie is beautiful and it is easy to get caught up in the freedom that the characters afford. It is one of the charms of the film- that we can understand Jenny's attraction to the life that David shows her and most of this is Carey's work as an actress who allows the film to grow and flourish without dragging into into insecurity and tactlessness. She is absolutely brilliant and- as a fan of Sargaard- I do hate to say this- but she is the only brilliant one really and the movie not only is carried by her but ultimately fails her performance. But we cannot always blame the actors- it is the story itself that falls short for me. I hoped-as most people did at first hearing about this story and seeing the trailer- that it would not become the story that is so very cliche. Just because it was set in the 1960's, it does not justify the ending that is in store for this couple. I wanted to scream in the theater. No surprises here- and this film deserves better than to just drown in cliche. I know that it was based on a memoir but shame on you Nick Hornby- why make this film at all if you cannot create something original- something that will not just disappoint your viewers by creating a film they know the end to before even buying a ticket.

What to watch out for:
Carey Mulligan all the way.
Oh.. and those cars- I do love period flicks.

Flickr photo by austinevan

No comments: