Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happy Go Lucky (2008)



The Expectation
This film is exactly my kind of film and so I think my expectations were a bit higher than the average viewer. I am a fan of quirky and unique independent films that are put together well. Everyone has there favorite film and this is mine- the pace, the odd shots, the perfectly timed music, etc. We can say I was very excited about this one.

The Result
I don't know if it was my high expectations or if the film was really not that good, but it fell short for me. Although Poppy is a great character and Sally Hawkins plays the character quite well, the film lost itself in its lack of plot and uninteresting dialogue. Silences that could have creatively been used as white space to heighten the difference in perspective of Poppy and the other characters- the main point of the film's narrative- were trite and boring and made the film seem very long. As a film viewer in this culture, I am used to the cliche narrative and thrilled when it is broken- except for when it is forgotten entirely, and I cannot help but feel as though watching the film was a waste of my time. The main plot point contrasting Poppy's undying happiness with the despair of others merely lingers. Poppy's unnatural joy is not developed, interrogated, or even commented on throughout the film and thus the message about personal perspective creating happiness gets lost in a sea of bright colors and beautiful British accents.

What to look for:
A sea of bright colors- the costumes are excellent
and the beautiful British accents
One great scene between Poppy and the driving instructor, Scott, yelling at each other in the street.

Flickr Image- Lucy Nieto

No comments: